Friday, July 12, 2013

Staying Focused In the Midst of Distractions

 

 
What a wonderful day it is to be a Math teacher. The Internet is full of resources and I discover more and more resources each day. Many times I find myself overwhelmed with the decision what to learn first? Once I start learning about something before I finish  there is something else presented that interests me to learn.
 Many times I find myself both excited and indecisive.   
 
During  this  blog,  I will share with you some of the most exciting resources that I have found and the order I plan to tackle them. 
1.  www.Duolingo.com. I have always wanted to learn Spanish and this website not only enables me to learn Spanish but to make a difference in the world at the same time. Whoever thought that my learning Spanish would enable me to help translate the World Wide Web into a different language.  
 
2. iTunes University has a Calculus class that is very interesting and intriguing.  It is from Ohio State and it is a complete calculus class with powerful instructors.  Even though I am not currently teaching calculus, I would love to complete this class during the summer 
 
3. Another task that I have is to create  an updated YouTube video about www.ck12.org  I will present  at  a Region 4 conference about  this wonderful resource. They recently updated their website and there are a lot of cool new features. Next year I plan to have my students create their own interactive textbook resource. 
 
4. Next I am excited about creating a tutorial for Harris County Department of education of a lesson that I have  implemented. Of course I have not yet started creating that lesson  because of the many distractions. 
 
5. I would like to also check out more resources concerning classroom management. Many times I struggle in that area however I will promise myself not to focus on my weaknesses but to be empowered by my strengths. 
 
6. I recently found a brand-new app that is just  fun!  It is called chirp. What is neat about the app is that it sends information to your phone by the use of sound. I am not sure how or if I will use it in the classroom and I welcome any ideas of how I can use it to inspire and motivate students. 
 
That is all I have for today. I will commit to remain focused and complete all these tasks; However it will be quite difficult with the Google search staring  me in the face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment